At Nyewood CE Junior school we believe that music is an essential part of a balanced education for all children. It can
- develop concentration, perseverance, co-ordination and memory
- promote co-operation in a group on a common task and create a sense of group identity
- inspire and motivate
- increase self-discipline, self-confidence, creativity, sensitivity and fulfilment
- Music is a unique form of communication and a powerful tool for self-expression and is an integral part of all cultures, past and present.
All children can access music at some level and gain enjoyment from it, whilst learning valuable skills. It is, in essence, a practical, co-operative and highly enjoyable experience for everyone.
At Nyewood, we aim for all children to
- enjoy music that they create themselves and be able to practise, perform and improve their compositions
- have the chance to develop musically at their own level and pace - maybe through engagement with class lessons and group instrumental lessons
- develop understanding and knowledge of music through listening and responding to a wide range of musical styles from different times and cultures;
- be provided with activities that develop musical concepts and skills sequentially
- listen to a variety of music from all genres, cultural and historical backgrounds (recorded or played live) on a daily basis and be able to articulate opinions and preferences
- have the opportunity to perform musically to a wider audience, e.g. assemblies, school productions, end of term shows
- be inspired to develop a life-long appreciation of music.